Saturday, April 18, 2015

THE VAULT OF HORRIBLE HORRORS: Home Sweet Home (1981)

And now for a new type of review. I have fun watching horrible horror movies. So I'm going to start giving these so-bad-it's-good movies their own little thing called "THE VAULT OF HORRIBLE HORRORS" where I will take a look at just HOW bad they are. Starting with...

HOME SWEET HOME (1981)




THE PREMISE:
A psychopath from the local insane asylum escapes, murders a motorist, and randomly makes his way to a family's home on the eve of Thanksgiving. There, he proceeds to cackle like a maniac, and murder a family played by people who basically with the exception of the little girl and father never acted again. (And there was a good reason for that to be honest)

HOW BAD IS IT?: Among bad slasher movies, this is king. If you want any more proof, all you need to know is that the killer spends 90% of the movie just cackling evily, there's literally a character named "MISTAKE" (No, I kid you not), but for some reason I just couldn't turn my eyes away.

NOTABLE FOR: Somehow managing to star a young VINESSA SHAW as the little girl in the movie. Yes, I'm talking about the girlfriend from Hocus Pocus. And also randomly stars the uncle of HAILEE STEINFELD (Yes, from True Grit) as the aforementioned cackling killer.

FUN LEVEL:  VERY HIGH

RECOMMENDED VIEWING METHOD: Get a couple of friends in a chat room, and Youtube it. You'll all have a riot.

MINI-REVIEW:

So a friend of mine and I make a point of watching bad horror movies just for the kicks. And the other night, we put this little gem on. Not only is it hilariously bad, but it also manages to bring some of the best unintentional comedy I have seen in a long time. Namely: "Mistake", I could tell you what Mistake is like, but that would ruin his amazingly hilarious entrance that left me laughing for at least a good five minutes.

Throughout this movie I wondered what it would be like if Hailee Steinfeld ever decided to look up her uncle's work. I can only imagine the look of horror on her face as she saw this opening scene and saw her uncle acting like this:



I found it especially funny that the ending is about fifteen minutes long, and in those fifteen minutes hardly ANYTHING happens. It is literally about ten minutes of them just sitting around to wait out the killer and talking to each other. Cumulating in maybe five minutes of action. During this time, I actually missed Hailee Steinfeld's crazy uncle and his amazingly generic, bad guy laugh.

And so I give this movie a five out of five on the scale of bad movies. If only because just LOL what the hell was anyone thinking greenlighting this film? I mean it was SO BAD that almost none of the cast ever acted again. That is really saying something, even some of the worst movies had more than two stars that did at least one other film in their careers.

DRINKING GAME RECOMMENDATION: Take a shot every time the killer cackles maniacally.

No comments:

Post a Comment